Peridot, Sardonyx, and Spinel are three birthstones for the August month. Each of them has a unique significance of its own and are also said to have been created naturally in the womb of Mother Nature.
Ideally, the August-born had just one gemstone Sardonyx. Peridot and Spinel have been added to the lot, giving people born in this month different color choices.
How is Sardonyx Birthstones Formed?
- It is considered to be the earliest of the August gemstones and is an amalgamation of two types of chalcedony (cryptocrystalline quartz): sard and onyx. In ancient times, it was a popular stone for Roman seals and signet rings.
- This is because hot wax does not stick to it. The gemstone ideally is a combination of bands of brownish red to brown to dark orange sard alternate with typically white or black layers of onyx.
- Representing the strength of spiritual life, Sardonyx is said to be one of the stones in the High priest’s breastplate. Roman soldiers wore the gemstone with the image of the planet Mars, the Gold of courage and valor, carved on it to protect the warriors in the battlefield.
- The gemstone, therefore, is associated with courage, happiness, and clear communication, bringing stability in marriage and partnership.
- Sardonyx can be traced throughout the world. The list includes countries like USA, India, Brazil, Germany, Czechoslovakia, Madagascar, and Uruguay. In fact, the color contrast in India is found to be pretty unique and in layers.
Peridot Birthstones And Its History
- Peridot is Substitute of Emerald Gemstone. and It is sometimes mistaken with gemstones like Topaz. It is commonly because of its appearance and color.
- It is believed to be the variety of the mineral olivine. .
- It was supposed that the shrine of the 3 blessed kings in Germany’s Cologne Cathedral is decorated with two hundred carats of gems, which were considered to be emeralds, but are actually Peridot.
- Much revered for its vibrant color and texture, the gemstone was valued in the ancient and medieval Europe. It has also been used as protective armour, shielding the owner from spirits and evildoers.
- It is also believed that Cleopatra’s treasure chest comprised of emeralds and peridots.
Peridot Is A Gem Given To Celebrate The 15th Wedding Anniversary.
- Peridot stone is found in several places on Earth and in some of the most exotic and deadliest locations. Most of the Peridot, these days, come from China, Myanmar, Pakistan, Tanzania, Vietnam, and the United States.
- These gemstones are also said to have traveled to the Earth’s surface on ions meteorites. Some are found in exotic locations like the Peridot beach, which shimmers in Peridot green.
- The Egyptian island of Zabargad is the oldest recorded source of the August birthstone. Mining may have begun as early as 340-279 BCE, but the harsh conditions of the island have bestowed it the name of Island of Death or Island of Ophiodes (island of snakes).
- It is, however, noteworthy that Peridots from this island are the finest specimens in the world.
Spinel Birthstones And Its History
- Originated from the Latin word Spina, meaning “throns”, the gemstone has spike-like formation. Available in a variety of colors, ranging from intense red, pink, violet, purple, blue and even bluish green.
- Did you know? That the Ruby set in Great Britain’s Imperial State Crown is actually a Spinel, set above the 317.40 ct Cullinan II diamond.
- One of the other wonderful fact about Red Spinel is it is a remedy for all types of blood loss and inflammatory diseases.
- It is believed to ease anger and promote harmony. Spinel is widely found in Tajikistan, Myanmar, Sri Lanka, Vietnam, Pakistan, and Tanzania. However, Myanmar is known to produce spinel in pink and red, which are in wide use as trendy jewelry.
Did You Know? Spinel Is Traditionally Given As A 22nd Wedding Anniversary Gift.
If you wish to buy this gemstone online, ensure you get a certificate of authenticity and get it verified by a certified gemologist.